Too Cool for School

8.21.2006

Sophomore

Today was the first day of my second year, but the amount of wisdom I have at my disposal now compared to last year...no comparison.

Last year:
Wore my new pretty wrap-around sweater with my favorite black trousers and cute heels. Tried to appear as put-together as possible while dropping piles of paper as I walked across the room.

This year:
Wore the same khaki pants I always wear...and tennis shoes. Skipped the paper handouts that I knew would end up in the trash. Conveyed my basic expectations while getting close enough to their faces for them to smell my breath.

Last year:
Brought my lunch and didn't get to eat it.

This year:
Had a double-decker oatmeal cream pie and a diet coke for lunch while walking around the cafeteria, reminding students they needed to sit where we tell them to.

Last year:
Sat in meetings and daydreamed, imagining that if I really needed to know this information, I could ask a coworker.

This year:
Sat in meetings and daydreamed, knowing that they had already e-mailed the information three times.

Last year:
Tried to look scary with mean facial expressions.

This year:
Tried to be myself, which is scary in its own way.

Last year:
Working under the rule, "Don't smile until Christmas".

This year:
Working under the rule, "Approach a student like you like them".

Last year:
Flirted with cute coach in the copy room.

This year:
Told Coach Hottie to hurry up so I could use the copy machine.

And that's the difference between being a first year teacher and a second year teacher.

1 comment(s):

hehe...my mom should read that...i wonder if that's how she felt when she started teaching....but she did start at an older age....my freshman year. anyway, i'm glad you like it better in garland. later yo

By Blogger Brown Sugar, at 3:28 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home

ThinkExist.com Quotes