Too Cool for School

8.05.2006

What a Week!?

What a week, yup! What a week! I could tell it was going to be busy, with me actually having to pencil in people who called me to hang out. I'm not bragging, because it wasn't all fun and games. Some of it was quite adult-responsible. Every night I had something, every day I was a little bit sore. For instance, this week I went rock climbing for the first time ever. I love it! If only it wasn't so expensive! Ask me about going sometime when you're bored. If I'm not broke, I will definitely be all over that. Also, I had some important talks with friends about missions at Skillman and my involvement there. Skillman is in the midst of a missions focus right now, and we've invited advice from ACU leaders as well as looking at our members' viewpoints, all culminating to a big meeting at the end of this month. It's something I'm praying about because we live in a city that needs change, in a country that needs change, in a world that needs change. To ignore any of those roles would be wrong, but to try to solve every problem might be wrong, too. Pray about it, and pray big! My viewpoint about missions has been shaped in part by my year spent at the Burleson church plant, Christ Journey. That was such a special ministry to be part of, and the Christ Journey is definitely a special place. I've brought church planting up to several members, including Robert and Alys, Charme, and others. I don't yet know how others feel about a church plant, (in the Village) but I'm interested to find out. That's been on my heart and I can't sleep at night.

Another reason I can't sleep at night is because last night was the elementary school lock-in at church. Lock in? That's a good name. Another good name would be, "All night candy buffet". At around 3 am, I spotted Riley unwrapping four mini tootsie roll pops and attempting to put them all in her mouth at the same time. (CAVITIEEEES!) Then, about 45 minutes later, I heard screaming out in the hallway. I arrived to find Angela gripping a bruise on the back of her knee, several little girls saying, "He didn't mean to hit you!" and our Riley, lying in the midst of it all, dead asleep. I later found out that someone had tried to squish Riley with a giant exercise ball while she was sleeping and that two kids had screamed in her ears. Riley hadn't budged. So much for the sugar rush. It was all over at about 7:30 am, when the last three little boys were picked up, just as guys started showing up for the men's prayer breakfast!

I did a lot this week, including going to my new classroom for the first time. Sadly, the room was a mess! I even found a few paper bags with the word, "Crack" legibly written in crayon in the side. Inside the bags were chalk dust, which spilled all over the floor when I opened them. When I told Renee she said, "Are you sure it wasn't really crack?" If it had been crack, what a great hiding place! Who knew that if you actually wrote the word, "Crack" on the bag, nobody would think it was really crack! Genious!

I'll have more about my classroom later. Until then, I leave you with this question: Did you ever have a boyfriend or girlfriend in elementary school? I ask this because there were two fourth graders at the lock-in who seemed very...close. Trying to remember that time in my life, I remember I was in love with this high school guy who played saxophone in the band and had a curly mullet. He used to tease me a lot when he saw me. He was a cousin of my friend Kristin. Everytime he teased me I'd hit him and give him a surly face, then say something sour. What he did not know is that I loooved him. Some 15 years later, the saxophone no longer appeals to me. A good mullet is hard to find. But one thing remains: (comment has been removed by its author)

1 comment(s):

Hey, is Skillman looking to support a local church plant as part of their missions focus???...hmmmmmmmmmm???

By Blogger Chris Chappotin, at 9:55 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home

ThinkExist.com Quotes