Too Cool for School

6.13.2006

Go Mavs!

Look at that sporty subject line. I chose that subject line so that Zach and Josue would read my blog! I'll be watching the game tonight, but during commercials I'm watching baseball.
On Saturday, I will be moving in with the same roommate I had the first time I left my parents' house. Kim Perkins was my roommate freshman year before transferring to OU. Now she's in her second year of grad school and we decided that if I quit my job at Alvarado, then we would be roommates. I had to quit my job early to allow my school to find another person to take my place and in order for Kim to let her old apartment complex know she wasn't coming back. It's cool, I said, I'll find a job. And I will. But I just haven't yet. You know that feeling of rejection that is necessary in our lives? How much is too much, I wonder? I mean, it is necessary. Thinking back on the first guy that rejected me in school...his name is Mark. He was really cool in 6th grade, but I've heard he's an alcoholic now. I'm really thankful for that rejection. Another big rejection for me was being rejected by the ACU theatre department the first time I auditioned. That rejection motivated me to work really hard building sets and props to show that I had good work ethic. I still really wanted to be a theatre major so it meant so much when they let me in the department.
But job rejection. What's the point, really? They don't know me, they are just school principals taking one look at my resume, seeing that I only have a year of experience, and choosing to ignore my constant e-mails and phone calls. After all, their secretaries are the ones who have to deal with me. Principals are busy, I guess, but honestly. If I get totally discouraged about this, then I'm missing the lesson of this experience and every experience: God gives, God provides, and God has his own clock. He provided that job in Alvarado at the very end of the summer last year. I don't doubt that he will take care of me. It's just...how. It may be a very humbling job for me, like Burger King French Fry Commander. Is there such a job? My Mom has reminded me daily that I don't have a job yet, just to motivate me. Have faith. Have faith. But am I going about this the right way? I think tomorrow I'm going to drive over to Flower Mound High School and wait in the front office until the principal walks out...then pounce!
I have had an interview at a middle school, however. They want me to teach Home-ec for four classes and theatre for two.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Something funny happened Sunday night as I was driving home from my Abilene/Burleson trip. I heard one of those Bud Light "Real men of Genius" commercials on the radio, and it made fun of guys who were way too proud of Texas. I'm going to be careful what I say right now because I live in Texas. Why bite the hand that feeds me? But it was so funny! One of the characteristics of "Mr. Way too proud of Texas" was that he had contempt for all states that don't begin with "Tex" and end in "as". I knew a guy at ACU who was like that--so proud of Texas that he used to make up quotes about Texas, then post them on his AOL away messages. These quotes personified Texas as a beautiful woman with which real women could nrver compare. It was a lot like Pat Green's "Songs about Texas". I'm from Oklahoma, and I never knew anybody who made up their own love-quotes about it! Sure, I got reamed by my classmates when I told them I was going to a college in Texas. But the state pride was never as extreme as it is in Texas. I'm pretty sure you're never going to find an Illinois flag shower curtain. Please comment, Texans. I don't fully understand.
Go Mavs!

5 comment(s):

But the longhorns stink!

By Blogger Heather, at 3:27 PM  

How can you not like Mark Cuban, Renee? The excitement and energy he brings to any company is amazing, something other companies just dream of.

Thanks for the mention!

Z

By Blogger The Future, at 3:47 PM  

I know who that proud Texas is...I had completely forgot about him!

By Blogger Allison, at 9:22 AM  

You know, this is all very funny. Is Mark Cuban a native Texan? Somebody find that out for me. You know, this morning on the radio they were discussing the "Mr. Way too proud of Texas guy" commercial, and all the proud Texans were sort of honored that Bud Lite would choose to do a commercial about them.
To each his own.

By Blogger Heather, at 2:44 PM  

Here's the famous Texas Guy commercial..ENJOY!
http://www.amfmpodcast.com/PodCast/KPLX/KPLX210/Bud%20Light%20Texas%20Spot.mp3

Angie
San Antonio, TEXAS

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:06 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home

ThinkExist.com Quotes