Too Cool for School

2.03.2006

Unfixables

Hey all. I'm so glad you're here. Honestly, I'm grateful some people still read this even when there's a chance you might come on here and there'd be nothing but fluff about yogurt and teacher's lounges. That's not to say that life is never funny, but I catch myself writing silly things on the days when I'm really knee-deep in questions that I can't answer.

The latest:
Yesterday, I lost my keys. I keep all of my keys together--car keys, school keys, mailbox key, teacher id...and I somehow lost the whole shebang. When I did, it was like I had lost a limb! I wasn't able to drive home and I had to call Annette Nielsen to pick me up from school. When I got home, I couldn't get into my apartment, so I had to get my landlord to open the place up for me. I remember feeling so helpless, because I had done all I could do and nothing prevailed. In the costume storage room where I had last seen the keys, I asked God, "Why? Why won't you just help me find them? I know I was dumb to lose them, but why can't you help me now?" He's often helped me before in small ways, but this time it was like he was just watching me with parental tough-love.
My Dad would say that it's not God's will to micromanage our lives. But then again, Randy Harris says that if he God but blinks, we all go hungry. It was so crazy and scary to realize that God is not my genie in a bottle who comes out and fixes everything magically. I wondered if me finding my keys was even important to him, or if he would rather teach me a lesson in responsibility. Are keys...trivial?
Later on that evening, I got a call from James, (World's most mature high school student). James had found my keys, miraculously, on top of a breaker box six feet high in the costume storage room. Today when I saw him, James told he that he had prayed, "Lord, I've gotta find these keys" He looked, and a moment later he saw a flash of green--my lanyard.

Of course, another student had hidden the keys as a prank. This student will not ever touch my keys again--ever!

But isn't it amazing?

Also, my new ipod is a faulty one, but I didn't know that for days and I was trying everything I could to get it to work and nothing would help. I'm not a technological genius, but I know enough to install a stinkin' ipod. Nothing doing. Finally I called Apple and they told me to send it in because only they could fix it.

There are just some things that we cannot do. Maybe our eyes are too blind to see, or maybe God doesn't allow us to see until the proper, appointed time. Maybe some sin or mistake doesn't allow us to fix it because we don't turn it over to God to fix like we should have all along.
I'm just struck this week by how truly helpless we are.

My prayer is that we could all just throw up our hands and fall at the feet of Jesus. Who knows what might happen if we let go of our unfixables.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."
--Emo Philips

3 comment(s):

Heather, your thoughts bless my life!

By Blogger Allison, at 10:56 AM  

Allison, thank you for reading it. It makes me feel more connected to you even though you're far away!

By Blogger Heather, at 8:59 PM  

Hey girl. That is something I have had to work on. I loved this blog. See you Friday! :)

By Blogger Elasha, at 12:07 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home

ThinkExist.com Quotes