Too Cool for School

1.14.2006

Beauty

I've been thinking about beauty. We'd all say it doesn't matter. But think about how much money we spend on the outsides of our bodies. I heard a preacher once call our bodies "our dirt", because that's what they are--dirt.
My favorite monologue is from Uncle Vanya by Anton Chekhov. The character Sonya is gushing about the man she loves, how she wonders if he notices her and if she is overanalyzing his actions and then it hits her. He does not love her! The monologue ends with her saying, "Oh Lord, how could you make me so plain?" It's heartbreaking!
Isaiah 53 says Jesus had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, and we had no esteem for him. I like that about Jesus. He understands what it feels like not to be pretty.

The girls in my classes just can't be pretty enough. Some of them have got blinders on so that they no longer know that they truly are pretty and they base their worth on which guys will date them. Many of them have given up on the idea of outer beauty and it starts eating away at their insides.
It goes deeper than acne and stringy hair. Beauty is like survival for a person, isn't it? If a person feels they have no beauty inside or out they feel overlooked and devalued. Beauty is more than skin deep, then.
Bethany Dillon has a song that says,

I want to be beautiful,
to make you stand in awe
so you'd look inside my heart

and be amazed.
I want to hear you say
who I am is quite enough.
Just want to be worthy of love
and beautiful.
I'm not really sure how I happened to want to write about this subject. It' s not something I think about that often beause I've told myself for so long that beauty didn't matter, and if it did, then I was being vain. But I caught myself looking last night. I was brushing my teeth in front of the mirror and I thought, "Wow, my face is shaped all wrong. And my teeth stick out too much." I tried smiling a certain way so that my teeth would look normal. I tried combing my hair down over my forehead just so. I tried to console myself that if I wore enough eye makeup, maybe that would draw attention to my eyes, which are "fine". I took a stage makeup course in college, so I know all about camouflaging features for different roles you play. It's so wrong! In the back of our minds, beauty is survival. A lot of it has to do with, well, procreation, and the way we're programmed. But not entirely! I think I've always been attracted to guys who were a little offbeat. Cute, but not perfect. And I'm sure if they did a survey on the menfolk, women would find out we don't have to be nearly as put-together as we are. A lot of our beauty rituals are just so we can compete with other women.

"Man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart." Then why is attraction so important? I think I'd be pretty happy as long as my husband thought I was hot.

Amaya says:
"Every woman is beautiful. Especially me!"

2 comment(s):

Well said girl!!! I totally agree in my heart, but it is so hard not to get caught up in that game!!!!

I just finished reading "The Gaurdian" by Nicholas Sparks, so you know it is sad, but it is good, not my favorite my him. I think I am going to start reading "A Million Little Pieces" or "Eating, Drinking, Overthinking: The Toxic Triangle."
They are both work related though, for fun I am reading "The Broker" by John Grisham. I love to read, can you tell???

By Blogger Elasha, at 11:19 AM  

"Plain" by ZoeGirl


Plain

He made you feel plain
When he forgot your name
Well let me tell you something,
I have felt the same.
I know you're in pain
But there'll be another Boy along the way and
God he made you beautiful and
There's nothing about you thats plain.

CHORUS
You are jewel you're a treasure
You are one of a kind
And you shine just as bright
As the stars in the sky
You're a rare kind of wonder
Created just right
So keep your head up over the pain
Theres nothing about you thats plain


You tell me you're not the type
The kind of girl that they like
And your a little insecure about
How you look in their eyes.
Well fashion will change,
Trends come and go everyday,
But God only made one of you and
There's nothing about you thats plain


CHORUS


See your mind, it is precious
Though your heart may be restless
And your eyes they will see
All that you're meant to be
'Cause your spirit is strong
And your soul carries on
You'll keep your head up over the pain
There's nothing about you that's plain


You know I've had my days,
When I feel out of place....yea
I look at who I am,
Cover what I can ,
I wish it all would change. But...
Take the makeup away
You see the same girl still remains..
She may not feel that beautiful
But theres nothing about her thats plain.


CHORUS


You may have felt plain,
But...God, He knows your name
Let me tell you something, yeah...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:01 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home

ThinkExist.com Quotes